Zucchini Blossoms Curry Cake

by Anna on May 28, 2010

in Vegetarian

Finally… freaking finally, its Friday, I was doing a count down since Wednesday to tell you the truth. It’s going to be a long weekend and man…. How different it is from NY. Usually a long weekend in NY the city is so full that you feel invaded. The restaurants are crowded and you have to fight with people for a taxi. Today I went out in the morning and it looked like a ghost town, I can swear I saw tumbleweeds rolling in front of my car.  Heck I was happy, have this lovely place all to myself. How about that? There is a new place that opened in Malibu that we want to check and I’m with my fingers crossed that it won’t be too crowded. It’s actually a place from NY “Café Habana” If you are in NY you have to check it out. It’s great. But find a little spot in that place was a nightmare. So I’m hopping that the one they just opened here in Malibu will be okay this weekend. Now let’s talk about food, I’m in a zucchini frenzy lately, so in love with it. And they look so awesome in the FM that I can’t resist them. So please bare with me.

Zucchini Blossoms Curry Cake

• 1 tbsp curry powder
  • 1 cube of vegetable broth
  • 1 small onion chopped
  • 1 garlic minced
  • 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
  • Salt and pepper

Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Butter and flour a removable bottom cake pan.

Grate the zucchinis into thin ribbons. First sauté some aromatics (minced garlic, chopped onions, red chili flakes, curry powder and the vegetable cube) the secret with curry powder is that you have to let it mingle with the aromatics for at least 2 to 3 minutes. Then add the zucchinis ribbons and sauté lightly (not for to long) Remember they are going to be on the oven. You don’t want them to melt and disappear. Set them aside to cool down.

Combine the eggs, milk, and olive oil in a large bowl and beat together. Add the flour and grated cheese. Season with salt and pepper stir to combine. Gently fold the baking powder. Add the zucchini mixture and fold. Transfer to the prepared pan; arrange the zucchini blossoms on top drizzle with a bit of olive oil and bake for 40 minutes (350F) let cool before removing from backing tray.

Josie September 2, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Hey – this looks so tasty and perfect for a friend who I know will love it.
Is there an alternative to zucchini blossoms as I can’t think where I’d find any very easily near where I live in the UK – unless anyone has any ideas?
Thanks!

Anna September 1, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Thanks Vanessa, I had 8 blossoms. And this summer I found out that grow zucchinis is very easy. I had them in a container. I got blossoms 3 times. :-D

vanessa September 1, 2010 at 5:37 PM

This looks AMAZING and i can’t wait to make it. The flowers are sold singularly (probably a fortune each too…but I don’t care) at my farmer’s market…how many in a “bunch”? thanks!

Anna June 12, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Oh Jenn, I think you have a dictionary of funny things (eyes peeled?????) I love it. :-D

Jenn June 12, 2010 at 7:17 AM

hahahahaa!!!! that *shakes fist* works when you need it though, non?? Lol…
We do have farmers markets but only in the summer. And the one I want to visit just opened up last Saturday but I was in Grand Forks celebrating my mum’s birthday. She loves Grand Forks. OK, i love it too.
But next time I head to it, I’ll be sure to keep my eyes peeled for zucchini blossoms ;)
Jenn´s last blog post ..Okonomiyaki

Sophie June 2, 2010 at 11:42 PM

What a stunning & beautiful cake!!

It surely rocks, girl!! I am glad that you are enjoying yourself on the West Coast!
.-= Sophie´s last blog ..Sophie’s smoked salmon & vegetables salad with a mustard- honey dressing =-.

Anna June 2, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Obrigada Tamy, Vc esta no Foodbuzz? Vou procurar por vc la. Beijus.

Tamy June 2, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Garota, que felicidade receber o seu comentário! Quando entrei no seu blog não poderia imaginar que você é brasileira!!! Que maravilha… Seu blo é lindo demais, uma delícia mesmo, suas imagens são maravilhosas e espero um dia conseguir ter esse seu brilhantismo. Tem dias que tbm fico pra baixo com o blog, nunca tive muitos comentários, mas estou feliz em conseguir cativar pessoas como você!!!
Sei muito pouco de ingles, mas sempre passarei por aqui, pelo menos, para dizer que seu blog está cada dia mais lindo!!!

Beijos

Marly June 2, 2010 at 10:30 AM

That looks too beautiful to eat! I have some zucchini growing in the garden as we speak. Grow zucchinis, grow!
.-= Marly´s last blog ..Chunky Monkey Cookies =-.

Erica June 2, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Saw this on TasteSpotting, had to make it! Great recipe. I used squash blossoms instead of zucchini.
For those of you who can’t find zucchini blossoms, try a Latino market if you have one in your area. They are called “flor de calabaza.” Zucchini and squash are super-simple to grow! I have them in containers on my patio.

Joanne June 1, 2010 at 12:48 PM

I have to say, NYC was pretty dead this weekend actually. It seemed like the whole city went away for the weekend (better for me!).

I love the sound of this savory cake, from the curry to the zucchini blossoms. I can’t wait until I see some at the Farmer’s Market here!
.-= Joanne´s last blog ..POM Velvet Cupcakes with Pomegranate Cream Cheese Frosting and Pomegranate Bagels and Twists =-.

Juliana June 1, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Oh! What a nice cake with zucchini blossoms, looks so tasty and awesome :-)

kristy June 1, 2010 at 5:57 AM

This reminded me of your last year zuchinni blossom recipe. Wow, time just flies, isn’t it? Another awesome meal. Well done! Hope you’re having a wonderful day, Anna!
Cheers, Kristy
.-= kristy´s last blog ..Lavender Blossom Sponge Bread =-.

Anna May 31, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Thanks Mika, I’m glad you like it. :-)

Mika May 31, 2010 at 8:36 AM

This is the first time I visit your blog and it seems so inspiring…I have to try your zucchini curry cake, it seems delicious…Now I have to read all the other posts to find more inspiration…

Lori May 31, 2010 at 6:39 AM

This is simply amazing! Not only a fantastic recipe, but I just love how the blossoms look baked into the cake. So unique! And the addition of curry is a definite win-win for me.
.-= Lori´s last blog ..Links to a Healthy Weekend =-.

Anna May 30, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Hi Amanda, I’m glad you liked it you are going to love it. :-)

Anna May 30, 2010 at 8:26 PM

OMG, Joumana discarding them??? It cost pretty pennies here. Try also stuffed with goat cheese and Jalapenos, it’s amazing. :-)

tasteofbeirut May 30, 2010 at 8:14 PM

This is the most imaginative cake I have ever seen! I have had so many zucchini blossoms at our garden in Lebanon and not knowing what to do with them they were discarded; now i know better!
.-= tasteofbeirut´s last blog ..Lebanese cream (Ashta) =-.

Chef Dennis May 30, 2010 at 7:05 PM

what a beautiful cake!!I can’t wait until the zucchini blossoms are in season here!!
.-= Chef Dennis´s last blog ..Guest Blog by Jennifer M. Ignacio M.S, RD – The Food Police Are Here =-.

The Cilantropist May 30, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Wow that first photo of the zucchini blossoms just looks so fresh and colorful!!! For two years now, I look at the blossoms, think they are wonderful… and then do nothing. Sadness of my life! This is the year I will make something with zucchini blossoms, you have inspired me. :)
.-= The Cilantropist´s last blog ..Fresh Berries with Limoncello and Lemon-Honey Yogurt =-.

Cherine May 30, 2010 at 12:45 AM

This looks absolutely delicious!
.-= Cherine´s last blog ..Braised okra with tomatoes =-.

Erica May 29, 2010 at 6:15 PM

What a delightful cake!That looks yummy! I might have to give it a try sometime. Have a nice weekend,Anna!

Anna May 29, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Hi Jenn, *kisses on cheeks* (yes, I am a copy cat) I planted some zucchinis and the instruction say they need 6 hours of sun light, my balcony barely has 3 hours, so I guess I won’t be harvesting any time soon.LOL
Do you have Farmer’s Market around you? That’s where I find them, supermarkets don’t seems to bother. Shame on them *waving fists*. ( yes I’m coping that too) What can I say You have the best. :-D

Anna May 29, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Thanks Miriam, I guess you could slice some zucchinis circles very thinly in a mandolin and cover the cake, it would look pretty too. :-)

Anna May 29, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Thanks Nina, loved your site too. That souffle is on my mind now. :-)

Anna May 29, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Thanks Silvia, In NY I found zucchini Blossoms only in the summer. Here since spring started their are all over, but I can only find them at the Farmer’s Market. :-D

Jenn May 29, 2010 at 11:01 AM

I’ve never had Zucchini blossoms. I see them everywhere (everywhere meaning in magazines, television, blogs, your blog). But I have yet to see them in the stores that I shop at. Maybe this is just reason to grow my own because the stores are obviously not catering to the homecook here at least.
So beautiful and the flavours just astounding!
.-= Jenn´s last blog ..On the opposite end of the spectrum… =-.

bunkycooks May 29, 2010 at 6:40 AM

Hi Anna,

Your photos are lovely! I cannot find zucchini blossoms here in Atlanta. :( I will have to see if they are anywhere nearby. I want to make this! It sounds so yummy.

C and C Dish May 29, 2010 at 5:08 AM

Zucchini is so good, and this looks awesome, great flavors!
.-= C and C Dish´s last blog ..Green Veggie Risotto–vegetarian =-.

Miriam/The Winter Guest May 29, 2010 at 3:47 AM

This sounds terrific. Pity that zucchini blossoms are impossible to find in Spain…
.-= Miriam/The Winter Guest´s last blog ..Cherry gazpacho =-.

nina May 28, 2010 at 11:39 PM

You are no chef wannabe……..this is an awesome site and I have bookmarked now.. Such inspirational work!!
.-= nina´s last blog ..Another quiche recipe? This time packed with South African flavors! =-.

citronetvanille May 28, 2010 at 8:39 PM

I simply adore your savory cake, after going through the list of ingredients, I have to say that I know I would go crazy for this. It’s gorgeous!!! and the zucchini blossoms, too bad I don’t find them very often around here…outstanding Anna!

Anna May 28, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Thanks Birem, Have you tried the Farmer’s Market? That’s where I find mine. :-)

Anna May 28, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Mmmm, BB You have to try, it’s yummy, specially stuffed with some gooey cheese. :-D

Roti n Rice May 28, 2010 at 7:44 PM

I love zucchinis too and cook them often, stir fries, grilled, bread, you name it. I have not come across the blossoms though :( and I’ll have to keep looking. Your curry cake looks awesome. I am sure it is delicious!
.-= Roti n Rice´s last blog ..Falafel in a Pocket =-.

wannafoodie May 28, 2010 at 7:22 PM

I love this idea! What a great mix of flavours. Kudos on this!
.-= wannafoodie´s last blog ..Dulce de Leche Buns =-.

5 Star Foodie May 28, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Wow, this savory cake sounds amazing with zucchini and zucchini blossoms! If I can find zucchini blossoms soon, I will definitely be trying this!
.-= 5 Star Foodie´s last blog ..Cake Pops and the Alouette Brie Giveaway Winners =-.

Baking Barrister May 28, 2010 at 6:12 PM

so–whats the deal with zucchini blossoms? what do they taste like? do you just saute them or bake them into things? i’m seeing them on blogs lately but have never had any.
.-= Baking Barrister´s last blog ..Chickpea Flour Extravaganza, Pt. 2: Socca (Farinata) =-.