Fennel and Orange Salad

by Anna on July 24, 2010

in Salads,Vegetarian

You guys believe in the law of attraction? Well now I do…. it all started with a simple little issue in my template, and then it all fell apart. It was like a domino effect. All my electronic devices decided to gang up on me. Even my iphone broke down.  So Here’s what happened …while I was trying to fix a problem with my server, this so call “expert” technical adviser, ill advised me to reboot my site back to an older version of wordpress. I have to admit, I know very little about computer programming and when I hear the word “expert”, I really believe the person I’m talking to know’s what he or she is talking about (in most cases it’s a he rather then a she, why is that?) Anyway, to cut the story short, I lost all my posts from July including the comments. No need to say I had a total nervous break down right? So after I let him know how unhappy I was with his service, he somehow managed to restore some of my posts back. But my very last pasta salad post was forever gone with all the comments I had received for it. So I’m sorry if some of you didn’t get a reply or something. I remember somebody asked me about the red jars in my picture. They are from a store called “Cost Plus world Market“. Now everything is back to normal, and I truly hope that it will stay that way (please blue host and wordpress, have some mercy…). So as you can imagine, I didn’t cook much this week. Last night I had this simple fennel and orange salad that I love. It’s very refreshing, and very simple to make. Enjoy.

Fennel and Orange Salad

Ingredients:

• 1 big fennel bulb
  • 3 oranges
  • 1/4 cup good olive oil
  • 2 lemons, juiced
  • Kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • Kalamata olives

Directions:

Cut the fronds from the fennel bulb and reserve some of the feathery leaves for later Slice the fennel bulb very thinly with a mandolin. Peel the oranges, remove the pith with a knife, and cut segments.

For the dressing:

Whisk together the olive oil,  lemon juice, salt and the pepper in a small bowl. Place the fennel slices, oranges slices and in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss together. Add the olives and some fennel fronds for decoration

kathy July 29, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Love this combo. This recipe looks amazing! beautiful photos! I hope you will submit this to http://www.findingvegan.com! ~Kathy
kathy´s last blog post ..Sunny Spicy Raw Veggie Wrap Or Cheesy Quesadilla

A Little Yumminess July 27, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Such a classic and so easy!!
A Little Yumminess´s last blog post ..Cooking with Mom- Chicken Tikka Masala

Anna July 26, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Thank you all guys, for the lovely words and comments, it means a lot to me. have a wonderful week. :-D

Cook with Madin July 26, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Hi Anna, sorry about your computer trouble and your iPhone!!!. I have been away for over 3 weeks and I’m slowly getting back to reading and commenting on food blogs.
I just want to say congratulations again to another Today’s Top 9.
This salad looks really refreshing.
Hope you have a great week.
Cook with Madin´s last blog post ..Our Visit to Ventura County

She's Cookin' July 26, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Well, the kitchen gods love you! Congrats on being in the Top 9 again! Technology woes can really do a number on us, can’t they? But your salad look so refreshing and I can taste the combination of fennel and oranges, yummy :)
She’s Cookin’´s last blog post ..Grilled Peppers Stuffed with Herbed Basmati Rice

Juliana July 26, 2010 at 1:31 PM

I am sorry about the computer issues…it is so amazing how dependable we are on the technology…
The orange salad looks awesome, great for a hot Summer day…love the colors!

sweetlife July 26, 2010 at 12:34 PM

sorry about your post, I recently moved from blogger and lost all my pics, thanksfully they were horrible and I did not miss them that much (smile), great salad I love fennel and oranges…

sweetlife
sweetlife´s last blog post ..Hominy with Cilantro and Lime

Mika July 26, 2010 at 2:35 AM

Oh, wow, Anna, I’m so sorry…
I hate technology, it’s frustrating and never does what I want…but I’m really lucky because my future husband works with it so I let him solve every trouble… ^_^
Mika´s last blog post ..Spaghetti with garlic and dried tomatoes sauce

Sommer @ A Spicy Perspective July 25, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Lovely! This looks wonderful–especially the addition of olives!

Sorry about all the techie issues–I know how you feel!

Stephanie @ Per l'Amore del Cibo July 25, 2010 at 6:41 PM

So sorry to hear about your blog troubles…for some reason I feel like I’ve been hearing about a lot of lost posts/comments lately. Regardless, your salad looks delish! I LOVE fennel, so I’m definitely adding this to my list of things to try.
Stephanie @ Per l’Amore del Cibo´s last blog post ..It’s My Blogiversary!

Stella July 25, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Hey Anna, sorry about your technology troubles-I think we all have a love/hate relationship with technology nowadays…
This salad always intrigues me when I see it. I just can’t imagine it being ‘right’ in terms of flavors, but at the same time it looks so good to me. I need to make it to quench my curiosity.

Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having July 25, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Sometimes I hate tech people. I’m sorry you had to go through all that.
Your salad looks amazing though!

Jenn @ Chinese Baba July 25, 2010 at 5:33 AM

Oh no Anna….. c’est pas vrai (it’s not true).
First Wordpress/internet, then iPhone??? :( But it can only get better from here, non??
Sending hugs from the prairies….
I like fennel and oranges I’m starting to enjoy again in my adulthood. So maybe if I mix the two together like you, I’ll have a perfect match of flavours. looks amazing as always ;)
xoxo
Jenn @ Chinese Baba´s last blog post ..Welcome! Version 20

Monet July 24, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Isn’t technology incredibly frustrating at times? I’m so sorry about the loss of your posts! I’m glad to see another great recipe though…the colors in this salad are truly stunning, and I adore fennel so I’m sure this would be right up my alley. Thank you for sharing!
Monet´s last blog post ..Buttermilk Honey Wheat Rolls

Anna July 24, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Thanks Zerrin :-D

Anna July 24, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Thanks Patty :-)

Anna July 24, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Thanks Lisa, you too have a wonderful weekend. :-)

Anna July 24, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Thanks Jen, will sure do. :-D

Pachecopatty July 24, 2010 at 6:50 PM

So sorry about your computer woes, they sure sure are great when they work! I love your salad, great combination of crisp fennel and tender orange segments, looks perfect, hang in there!
Pachecopatty´s last blog post ..Blueberry Nectarine Cake

zerrin July 24, 2010 at 5:30 PM

I’m sorry for your posts and comments. I can understand how irritating it is. I had some problems with my blog when I just changed its theme style, and I didn’t sleep that night trying to solve the problem. Technology sometimes doesn’t understand us.

This salad is a great dinner on these hot days. Easy, light and delicious. Perfect!

Lisa { AuthenticSuburbanGourmet } July 24, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the server. Looks like your pasta salad post with the red jars has been restored – YEAH! The fennel and orange salad is such a natural pairing – great job! Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Lisa { AuthenticSuburbanGourmet }´s last blog post .. Fig Coffee Cake

Jen Cheung July 24, 2010 at 3:57 PM

love the salad there Anna! love how many colors you can put in! the most important is the variety of color and of course the taste too! :)

btw: Im adding you on my blogroll. feel free to do the same too. thanks

Jen