Roasted Zucchinis and Fennel Soup

by Anna on August 30, 2010

in Soups

Hi guys how was your weekend? Mine was really nice, we are still discovering cute places around here, yesterday we went to a place called Fisherman’s Village and it was a pleasant surprise. It’s a nice area to walk along the waterfront. From the village you can look out over the Main Channel of Marina del Rey. You’ll be able to see dozens of sailboats and powerboats coming in and out of the harbor, and sunsets are often beautiful from that point. There are some decent restaurants, a place to rent boats and bikes by the hour. We loved it. Maybe next weekend we go check Catalina Island. Lets talk about food now shall we? I found this really cute Patty Pan Squash at the FM and I wanted to have something light for dinner so I decided to roast them and make a soup. I like to roast the vegetables before because it accentuates the flavors. And to accompany it, I had this yummy kale and bacon muffins, here’s the recipe.

Roasted Patty Pan Squash and Fennel Soup

Ingredients:

• 3 to 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock, preferably homemade
  • 4 or 5 medium Patty pan squash or zucchinis
  • 1 big red onion
  • 1 medium fennel bulb
  • Olive oil
  • Red chili flakes
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Cut the zucchinis, fennel and onions in quarters, all vegetables will shrink while baking; so don’t cut them too small.

Place all the cut vegetables in a single layer on a sheet pan. Drizzle them with olive oil, salt, and pepper, red pepper flakes if you like a bit spicy. Toss well. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until all the vegetables are tender, turning once with a metal spatula.

In a large pan, heat 3 cups of chicken or vegetable stock. Coarsely puree the roasted vegetables and the stock using a handheld blender, season to taste. The soup should be thick but not like a vegetable puree, so add more chicken stock and/or water until it’s the consistency you like. Serve with a dollop of cream or yogurt. I served mine with a kale and bacon muffins, recipe here.

Sandiego January 19, 2011 at 12:55 AM

This recipe was absolutely DELICIOUS! I’ve never made a soup like this before and I couldn’t get over how yummy it was! I didn’t have the Patty Pan squash handy so I used the regular yellow squash and fennel bulb I had just purchased. I pureed it to be a bit more on the “creamy” side and I swear it tastes like a cream based soup. When finished, it looks like the type of soup you would see in a fine dining restaurant! Am on a super health kick right now and this recipe was not only yummy but really nutritious too! What a combination! Thanks so much for sharing!

A Little Yumminess September 6, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Lovely photos as always. This will get made for sure with the last of our squashes!
A Little Yumminess´s last blog post ..Crummy Weather &amp Rotten Bananas

Lori September 5, 2010 at 12:41 PM

I was just introduced to patty pan squash this year and I love it! Not only cute, but tasty too. Such a great idea with this soup and those bacon, kale muffins sound amazing.
Lori´s last blog post ..Lemon Rosemary Thumbprints with Peach Jam

Laura Flowers September 3, 2010 at 7:27 PM

You make beautiful pictures!
Laura Flowers´s last blog post ..Weetabix Butterscotch Cookies

Joyti September 2, 2010 at 1:09 AM

Your photographs are gorgeous! And the soup sounds so delicious, and great for the upcoming fall season.
Joyti´s last blog post ..Passionfruit-Filled Cupcakes Light-Streaked Skies

Sommer @ A Spicy Perspective September 1, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Wonderful soup! It looks so creamy and rich! Gorgeous snaps!

momgateway September 1, 2010 at 9:48 AM

love the fennel soup idea…go tot try this beautiful recipe!

Jen Cheung August 31, 2010 at 3:07 PM

that looks really relaxing :) love the salad!!!

have a fabulous week lady!
jen @ http://www.passion4food.ca
Jen Cheung´s last blog post ..Chinese Dessert

Adelina August 31, 2010 at 2:46 PM

I love the photos and the recipe! Yum! I make Zucchini rosemary soup, but I like the idea of roasted zucchinis and addition of fennel.
Adelina´s last blog post ..My New Late Night Snack- Smoky &amp Spicy Pepitas-Pumpkin Seeds

5 Star Foodie August 31, 2010 at 1:45 PM

The soup sound fantastic, love the addition of fennel!
5 Star Foodie´s last blog post ..5 Star Makeover- Vegetarian Cassoulet with Trout Beans and Wild Mushrooms

Anna August 31, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Thanks, Duo dishes. I know…it is chilly. I thought California would be summer all year around. Hahahaa! I was wrong. But I love it anyways. I’m so having fun here. :-)

Anna August 31, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Thank you suchitra, welcome to my site. I loved your recipes. So much flavors. :-D

Anna August 31, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Thanks Patty, it is a lovely place to relax. :-D

Patty Price August 31, 2010 at 11:34 AM

I love vegetable soups made with roasted veggies and your kale and bacon muffins are such a nice complement to the soup. Also, thanks for sharing your shots of the marina, very beautiful:-)
Patty Price´s last blog post ..Peach Pie

suchitra August 31, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Loved this recipe- looks fab, thanks for sharing!
suchitra´s last blog post ..Yummy cottage cheese!

Kath August 31, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Love your gorgeous photo of the vegetables ready for roasting! With ingredients like that, I know your soup has to be fabulous!

The Duo Dishes August 31, 2010 at 8:14 AM

So many good flavors here–salty bacon, sweet squash, licorice from the fennel. It sounds like the best way to get through our chillier August evenings here in LA. :)
The Duo Dishes´s last blog post ..The Duo’s Ethnic Exploration- El Salvador

AnjasFood4Thought August 31, 2010 at 7:53 AM

Yes, I need to make this very soon. No more of my zucchinis will go into cakes and no more of my fennels will go into salads. Can’t wait to try this. What an interesting flavor combo! Can’t actually imagining it, that’s why I have to try. But I can imagine it to be very good. Love your pictures!!!
AnjasFood4Thought´s last blog post ..Avocado Cherry Loaf Cake

Brie August 31, 2010 at 6:42 AM

bacon muffins and roasted veggie soup – killer combo! your photos are always so lovely and set up so well. and the shots of the marina look so peaceful.
Brie´s last blog post ..Guest Post on Stetted- Dried Fruit &amp Nut Couscous

denise @ quickies on the dinner table August 30, 2010 at 9:54 PM

This is a beauty of a soup Anna – I also love roasting my veggies before turning them into creamy soups, without using a whole lot of cream. I honestly don’t know which I like better, the soup or those sinful muffins *YUM*

You do seem to have an idyllic life – inspite of your initial Nutella “situation” ;)
denise @ quickies on the dinner table´s last blog post ..Just Pointing in the General Direction

Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having August 30, 2010 at 7:00 PM

I bought fennel today without any actual plan for it. This soup sound delicious, I can’t wait to try it!

Magic of Spice August 30, 2010 at 6:08 PM

What a lovely meal, and beautiful photos :)
Magic of Spice´s last blog post ..Our Guest Post on – Ancient Fire Wine