Spanish Migas with Acorn Squash

by Anna on September 8, 2010

in Breakfast,World Food

Migas are a traditional dish that is Originally eaten as breakfast made of leftover breads; Nowadays, Migas are a fashionable first course served for lunch and dinner in restaurants in Spain. As you all know (if you are here long enough) I’m a huge fan of bread. So any excuse I have to make dishes using bread I will embrace. And Migas trust me, is a good one. But today I got a bit, just a tad greedy and decided to combine roasted acorn squash in my Migas, I couldn’t resist the squashes at the Farmer’s Market, they were calling my name, LOL. And I have a feeling you are going to see a lot of them here this fall. Because I absolutely love them.

Spanish Migas with Acorn Squash

Ingredients:

• 1 loaf of stale (one-day-old) bread,
  • 100 grams of fatty diced bacon
  • 100 grams of chorizo or ham
  • Paprika
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • Olive oil
  • Salt
  • 2 eggs

Directions:

Cut the bread into little squares and dampen in a little water, salt and paprika. Cover the bread cubes and leave to stand for 2 hours. Pre-heat the oven to 400 F. Cut the acorn squash in thick slices and arrange them on a baking sheet prepared with parchment paper. Drizzle some olive oil and season with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic, and rosemary. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes or until soft and golden. Let it cool down a bit and take the peel. Cut it into squares, reserve.

Fry the diced bacon. Then lightly fry the chorizo or ham, take the chorizo and bacon of and reserve, drain off a bit of the fat, fry the garlic and add the bread frying for about 2 minutes. Add the bacon and chorizo back to the pan and fry lightly until the bread is golden, stirring constantly. Mix the roasted squash cubes. Serve together with fried eggs.

Anna October 26, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Thanks Ann, I’m glad you liked it. 🙂

Ann October 26, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Hey! You have a truly beautiful site. Your pictures are so artistic! I really liked your migas recipe. : ) I made it myself, but vegetarian version (and substituting bacon for potato). It was absolutely delicious! I love the combination of flavors that go onto the acorn squash. This is my post on it, if you’re interested.

Anna September 19, 2010 at 7:39 PM

@ We are not Martha. Awwww, that is so lovely of you to say. I think it would be great. Move to La, la, la, land girls. It’s awesome here. 😉

We are not Martha September 19, 2010 at 7:21 PM

wow. i kind of wish you didn’t live on the other side of the country. because if you lived in boston i would adopt you as my friend so we could make this together at LEAST once a week. looks delicious and there’s a slight chance i plan on trying to jump into my computer to take a bite 😛 [chels]

sarah September 14, 2010 at 1:39 PM

oh my this looks lovely. I’ve only had Mexican style migas, but I think I would prefer these flavors for dinner. Beautiful as always!

Karen September 14, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Wow! That looks like my kind of breakfast! Thanks for the great dish…

Joyti September 14, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Wow, your dish sound really good. And your photographs are gorgeous. I can’t stop staring at the one with the split squashes prepped for roasting. YUM.

Juliana September 13, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Migas? Never had it before…sounds really yummie with the acorn…your pictures are awesome Anna 🙂

Anna September 12, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Wow…great, I’m glad you liked it. I understand sometimes it’s difficult to stop the hungry hands trying to eat your posts. LOL It happens a lot to me. Have a great week Lisa.

Lisa Faley September 12, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Anna!! I made this for brunch today! Talk about fabulous flavours!! Sadly… it was gone before I even thought of a picture… so no post for me ;o(
Sometimes that just happens…
Thanks for the treat!

sweetlife September 12, 2010 at 2:18 PM

beautiful migas, I love the addition of squash, yummy

sweetlife

Kristin @ delishliving September 12, 2010 at 1:32 PM

New to your blog, and it’s so beautiful! Absolutely lovely. I’ll be checking in 🙂

Lisa Faley September 11, 2010 at 6:01 PM

This is what we’re having for lunch tomorrow!
I happen to have all the ingredients, so thanks!

Erica September 11, 2010 at 2:27 PM

I love migas….In Colombia we make “migas de arepa”.Wonderful breakfast!

Lana September 10, 2010 at 5:21 PM

I have never had migas in my life. But I love to reuse the bread. And the squash looks so delicious, I wish the Southern California weather would cool off just a bit:)
BTW, congratulations on making Foodbuzz 9!

joudie's Mood Food September 10, 2010 at 2:38 PM

The combination of ingrediaents is just what i love about food. This looks great. I love the look of this too. Very earthy and hands on! Just my style….

Pam @ Sticks Forks Fingers September 10, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Tremendous post. Gorgeous in every way. I’ve salivating at the idea of your migas, as it involves many of my favorite things, too; winter squash, bread, garlic, and softly cooked eggs. This is a stunner. Thanks for sharing.

Anna September 10, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Thank you so much Jennifer, and if you can be kind enough and explain to me how your comment section works would be lovely.. Have a great weekend.

Susi September 10, 2010 at 9:02 AM

This looks like my kind of dish! Your pictures are stunning! I’ve never had migas but have been seeing it pop up on a couple of blogs now and I’m intrigued :o) Enjoy your weekend as well :o)

She's Cookin' September 10, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Ohhhh, I wish I could have that right now! The acorn squash is making me feel like fall is here. Deliciously simple, I love it! Congrats on the Top 9!

denise @ quickies on the dinner table September 10, 2010 at 1:50 AM

I love your version of Migas and those individual skillets are too adorable! I am very particular about fried eggs and yours are absolutely perfect!!

kristy September 9, 2010 at 9:51 PM

You’re amazing! This is simply delicous. Had never thought of wiping up something so simple to look so nice & yummy. Have a great day, Anna.
Cheers, Kristy

A Little Yumminess September 9, 2010 at 6:23 PM

I never know what to do with acorn squash so I never cook with it. Been meaning to make Migas for a while now and will try this one.

Kathryn September 9, 2010 at 10:50 AM

I am definitely impressed- that looks amazing! If you’re interested in entering a Halloween recipe contest, I’d love to see what you come up with! You can go here to learn more about it.

Jennifer September 9, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Absolutely love acorn squash, not only is it delicious but gorgeous as well, they might be considered shows off in the squash world. I will eat bread in any and all forms as I can, thanks for giving me yet another savory way!

RavieNomNoms September 9, 2010 at 9:23 AM

Wow what great pictures! This looks really delicious!

Sommer @ A Spicy Perspective September 9, 2010 at 5:42 AM

The squash looks so pretty cut into rounds! And the migas…heaven!

Miriam/The Winter Guest September 8, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Wow, your migas look great! In fact nowadays migas are eaten for breakfast, lunch and dinner… even for merienda with hot chocolate! I think squash is not a bad addition, after all they’re also eaten with grapes in a lot of places, a salty-sweet combination.

5 Star Foodie September 8, 2010 at 4:57 PM

The migas sound terrific especially with that beautiful roasted acorn squash!

Magic of Spice September 8, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I just love acorn squash, and those are some pretty babies 🙂

Patty Price September 8, 2010 at 3:09 PM

I love the roasted acorn squash too, glad we’ll be seeing more of them in the coming months, your Spanish migas looks delicious:)

Adelina September 8, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Thanks for introducing me to Migas! I love bread and sound like a great and simple way of using leftovers.