Fresh Spring Salad

by Anna on March 23, 2011

in Appetizer,Salads,Vegetarian

Awwwww… don’t you love that spring started? Spring is by far my favorite season, everything looks so fresh and alive, even the birds are happier. And at the Farmer’s Market the selection of beautiful veggies are mind blowing. The gardens all over the city look amazing filled with colorful flowers. It’s really wonderful to drive around, to tell you the truth it’s very hard to stay inside lately. Last year I had all sorts of herbs growing in my little balcony. And that was something I was really looking forward to. It’s great to have a selection of herbs to cook with. I think herbs always add a new dimension to your dish. How about you? Are you planting something this spring?

Fresh Spring Salad:

• 3 small cucumbers
  • 1 medium fennel bulb
  • 1 bunch of Mache or arugula
  • 1 cup of cooked Fava beans

Direction:

Cut the cucumbers and the fennel with a mandolin in very thin slices. If you are using fresh Fava beans cook them in boiling water for few minutes and then shock them in ice water. Remove the outer shell. Organize all the veggies in a small plate and drizzle with the herbs dressing. And enjoy a taste of spring in your plate.

Herbs vinaigrette:

• 1 small bunch of mint
  • 1 small bunch of parsley
  • 1 small bunch of dill
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • ½ cup olive oil
  • ¼ cup lemon juice
  • Salt and pepper

Directions:

Put all the ingredients in the food processor and pulse few times until well combined. You can add basil also if you have handy. I use this vinaigrette also as a spread in my sandwiches.

Lori April 10, 2011 at 1:53 PM

I am loving the vinaigrette. Our herbs have already started to grow and will be ready to eat in a few weeks. I will definitely be making this dressing.
Lori´s last blog post ..Hoppin’ John- More Finds from South Carolina

sweetlife March 31, 2011 at 10:02 PM

stunning plate of spring, I love the vinaigrette..I am currently in an apt awaiting for hubby to complete school, I would love to plant but have minimal space, maybe I will plant in small pots this year,

sweetlife

Magic of Spice March 29, 2011 at 2:56 PM

I just made a citrus salad with some gorgeous fennel…your salad look so gorgeous and love the vinaigrette as well.
Magic of Spice´s last blog post ..Whats for brunch Oeufs pochés à la sauce Mornay

sensiblecooking March 25, 2011 at 7:24 AM

Oh Anna you made me miss spring even more. Here it is spring only in calendar. This weeks weather forecast has been snow, wind and rain and very gloomy looking. Maybe this salad will cheer me up as it is gonna snow and rain all weekend. That also put my gardening on hold.

Mary March 25, 2011 at 5:47 AM

What a gorgeous post. Your salad looks wonderful and your photos of it are really spectacular. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

5 Star Foodie March 24, 2011 at 5:08 PM

What a lovely salad, I love the flavors in your herbs vinaigrette!
5 Star Foodie´s last blog post ..Coconut French Toast Sliders- Strawberry Burgers- Balsamic Reduction Syrup

Adelina March 24, 2011 at 4:04 PM

I love your herbal vinaigrette… I am all about herbs darling ;) When I shop at the Armenian/Middle Eastern markets, I stock a bunch of almost every herb I see. I reserve one of the drawers in my fridge just for herbs.
Adelina´s last blog post ..Herb Garlic Bread- Eggs- and Buttery Potatoes

Jessica Chiasson-Wood March 24, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Anna, your salad looks great too. I love the Herb vinaigrette.
Jessica Chiasson-Wood´s last blog post ..Cool as a Cucumber Salad

Claudia March 24, 2011 at 7:15 AM

We just had a snowstorm so I am really, truly craving spring. What a beautiful way to bring it to my table. Love that you use the vinaigrette in your sandwiches!
Claudia´s last blog post ..Springy salad with pancetta and peas and yes- orange juice

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective March 24, 2011 at 6:12 AM

Oh how I love fresh fennel. Although I usually have to cook it down to nothing to get my hubby to eat it, this is a salad I’ll make for myself!
Sommer@ASpicyPerspective´s last blog post ..Okie Dokie Smokehouse’s Jalapeno Hushpuppies &amp Red Slaw

A Little Yumminess March 23, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Love how you presented the dressing…..lovely photos….

Gourmet Fashion March 23, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Fennel and fava beans two of my favorites … waiting for my fava beans this spring … last year I got so many that I froze them. Lovely photos too. A great reminder that it ‘s the time of year to reduce those fats (well maybe except for chocolate)!

Elle (Bromography) March 23, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Gorgeous photos! This is just the taste of spring that I am longing for.

Liz March 23, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Gorgeous salad! Love all the shades of green~
Liz´s last blog post ..Tuna Salad with Fresh Dill

Angela@RecipesFromMyMom March 23, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Spring dipped it’s toe in Kansas and then backed way out. But I’m still in the mood for fresh, green salads like this. Lovely photos!
Angela@RecipesFromMyMom´s last blog post ..Lemon tea bread and Kelly Ripas Tea Party

Julia @ DimpleArts Photography March 23, 2011 at 12:11 PM

That salad looks very refreshing. Unfortunately it seems that Spring is running late here.
Julia @ DimpleArts Photography´s last blog post ..Food News- A Wiki Project